Skip Navigation
Photo of a Firefighter City of San Luis Obispo
Fire Department

SearchContact UsCity Home

History

Historical photo The best information we have tells us that the San Luis Obispo Fire Department was organized in the year 1876 when California was still the Bear Flag Republic. The earliest recorded discussions occurred in 1872 and focused on acquiring two hose carts for the Goodwill Hose Companies 1 & 2. They were purchased and housed in the livery stable at the intersection of Nipomo & Higuera Sts.

The Tiger Hook and Ladder came later. The steamers were pulled by two horses, Frank and Rowdy. In 1923, the department organized under a common administration with C.M. Weathers as the first Fire Chief. On display at Fire Station No. 1 is our last horse-drawn fire apparatus, a 1906 Seagraves Chemical Hose Wagon.
Historical photo

 

 

About the Department | History | Facilities | Apparatus | Administration | Operations | Training | Public Outreach | Fire Prevention | Disaster Preparedness | CERT | Developer’s Guide | Photo Gallery | Links | FAQs | What’s New | Department Home


About the City | Visiting SLO | City Government | Employment
Bids & Proposals | FAQs | Press Room | How are we doing?

©2014 City of San Luis Obispo