Improve your community by donating a bike rack and receive permanent recognition. Similar to the Memorial Bench Program, the "Racks with Plaques" program allows locations in the SLO Downtown and in Parks to receive brand new bicycle parking racks for free and allows donors to be permanently recognized.
How the Program Works
1. A donor volunteers to purchase a rack for the City
2. A dedication plaque is personalized with a message from the donor.
3. A high quality, cast bronze plaque is attached to the rack.
4. The rack is installed at a location determined by the City and the donor.
To donate a "Rack with Plaque" or for further information contact the Adam Fukushima, Active Transportation Manager, at 805.781.7590 or emailing at email@example.com
Bicyclists are provided with more, conveniently located, easy to use bicycle parking racks, while the City is able to provide highly functional and attractive bicycle parking racks at no cost. The donor helps the City and receives permanent recognition.
This program was developed by the Public Works Deptartment with the assistance of local resident and bike rack designer Rod Hoadley of the Hoadley Design Group. The bike rack design is unique featuring a staggered placement design for 2, 4, 6, or 8 bicycles. The design is successfully being used on the Cal Poly Campus. Similar to the Downtown Green Bench Program, "Rack with Plaques" allows individuals to donate bicycle racks to the City for public use. The program provides an opportunity to acknowledge individuals or groups with the inclusion of a 6" x 4" dedication plaque.
This program provides for the increasing need for short-term bicycle parking. Donors pay for the rack, plaque, installation and maintenance for a powder-coating of the rack in the future, and donations are tax deductible. Racks installed Downtown will be Powder-Coated Forest Green and racks installed outside Downtown will be Powder-Coated Black. Bike rack locations shall be approved by City staff prior to installation.
The Racks with Plaques patent-pending design features a visible, finely-crafted and durable plaque made of cast bronze (The plaque measures 6" x 4"). Your decision to purchase a Rack with a Plaque will benefit bicyclists, the community (whether it is a school, church, city, park, university, or organization), and the environment. It also serves as a lasting memorial to a very special person. Purchasing this rack is a win-win proposition that helps everyone.
- Recognition: The Racks with Plaques' personalized dedication plaque is an excellent way to recognize people, organizations or businesses in your community.
- Donations: Cities, parks, schools or businesses can have racks donated to them, thus offsetting part or all of the cost of the racks.
The vertical staggered design, easy-to-use locking mechanism, and optional dedication plaque are innovative features that make the racks the most functional and cost-effective racks on the market today.
- Universal bicycle parking: All types and sizes of bicycles will securely fit in the racks.
- Ease of use: All bikes can be easily loaded forward or backward into any available slot without overcrowding.
- No handlebar entanglement:The vertical staggered design offsets handlebars so entanglement is eliminated. Bikes can be inserted or removed with ease.
- Minimum space requirement:Staggered design allows for tighter parking density, thus taking up less space for bicycle parking.
The Locking Bar:
- Locking with ease: No more having to bend over, or lean into tight spaces. The locking bar allow for quick, easy locking with a U-lock or cable lock.The locking bar mechanism is precisely located so that the bicycle wheel, the frame, and the locking bar meet for easy and secure locking.
- Security: Ingenious locking system allows for simultaneous locking of wheel and frame.
- 4-bike rack costs $1,156 (tax included)
- 8-bike rack costs $1,588 (tax included)
- More information at the Peak Racks website (links to an external site)